Tuesday, March 10, 2009

75. Long days of work.

It's a crazy week of work for me.

Sunday was a 12.5 hour day. Yesterday I had to squeeze six hours of tutoring and 1.5 hours of driving into six hours. Wednesday I'll have to squeeze eight hours of tutoring and 1.5 hours of driving into...seven hours.

That's the one downside of SAT tutoring: on the week before the test, you're required to pull off metaphysically-impossible feats of scheduling. Considering high school students only have a small window of time outside of class in which they can meet for two hours, it's a rather tall order.

I told someone yesterday that it's times like these when I equate being an SAT tutor to being in the Mafia: you get the job done, no matter what you have to do, no matter how many deals with the Devil you have to make.

And anyone who sees me this week gets to hear my tired lament about what a physically exhausting and stressful week it is.

But: I'm working. And getting paid rather nicely for it.

And that's a tremendous blessing considering the troubling state of economic affairs we find ourselves in, now knee-deep into 2009.

So I'll probably continue to whine, moan, and complain about the insanity of the week. But I know full-well that it could be worse. A lot worse.

...

In some not-so-thanksgiving-like news, regarding my absence from this blog for the past five days or so: my computer is now officially in a comatose state. So, as I mentioned a few weeks back, I may be taking something of an on-again/off-again hiatus while I secure a reliable source of computing and internet access (the iPhone--for all that I love about it--is admittedly not the world's greatest blogging tool, so I've been reticent to update from it).

That has certainly added to this already-stressful week.

I promise I'll try to keep up with some semi-consistent posting, though.

No comments: