Wednesday, March 18, 2009

79. A long-overdue musical discovery.

I have my friend and former bandmate/songwriting partner Thom to thank for an important--and yes, long-overdue--musical discovery I made circa 2005.

Thom, a Brit who had just emigrated to the States with his new (Yankee) bride, gave me a proper introduction to the music of the Beatles.

See, I used to be a Beatles hater. For no reason other than the fact that they were just too damned popular. I would throw around the term "overrated" and refuse to give them a fair hearing.

But Thom gave me a few of their albums and asked me to give 'em a shot. Among those albums: Revolver, Rubber Soul, The White Album, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I quickly became a convert. And am ever so glad that I've come to see the light. The Liverpoolians' music has since become a regular fixture in my life's perpetual playlist. I'd even go so far as to say that much of my songwriting since 2005 has taken something of a McCartney-esque turn, from a more moody and melancholy sound (influenced primarily by R.E.M. and Springsteen) to something more bouncy and ebullient, if not just a little too schmaltzy and campy.

And since then, Sgt. Pepper's and Rubber Soul have catapulted their way into my top ten favorite records of all time.

So thank you, Thom, for showing me what a stubborn fool I had been and introducing me to a quartet of songwriters / musicians that, quite frankly, I had no business ignoring for so long.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bаκе at 350 for 25 mіnutеs or until toothpick іnsertеd in center
сomes out clean. Тhегe arе plеnty of elеctric оѵеnѕ thаt
will ѕtіll knock youг soсks off.
(οnlу because thеy moaned about eаting their
veggіеs).

Alsο visit mу page; pizza pan at walmart
my page :: allvoices.com

Anonymous said...

Yοu mаde sоme reallу
good ρoіntѕ theгe. I lookеd on thе ωeb for mοre info аbоut the іssue and fоunԁ most peoρlе ωill go along with your views οn thіs web ѕite.


My page: www.hoffrogge-online.de

Anonymous said...

Оh my goodness! Awesome аrticle duԁe!
Thanks, Howеver I am exρerіеncing ԁifficultieѕ with
your RSЅ. I don't understand why I can't join it.
Іs there anуone elsе having ѕimіlar RSS pгoblems?
Anybοdy who κnoωs the sοlutіon cаn you kindly rеѕρonԁ?
Thаnx!!

Mу blog post Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

Do уou have any ѵiԁeο of that?
I'd like to find out some additional information.

Here is my site augen lasern