Saturday, January 3, 2009

32. For sharing a portion of the journey with me.

If there's one thing about the nature of life that I've learned over the last five or six years, it's that God puts people in our lives for certain reasons and certain seasons (I know; that rhyme scheme sounds way too much like a pastor's mnemonic sermon device).

The relationships we form throughout our time on Earth are--more often than not--transient and fleeting. The majority of people who play any sizable role in each of our existences will only do so for a (relatively) short period of time, save for the small handful that will be lifelong fixtures.

While I once found this to be an incredibly disheartening reality, I've since found the silver lining: God brings people into our lives for very specific and significant reasons--usually to bless and encourage us along the way.

So I've learned to take a certain bittersweet joy in knowing that I have been blessed by the friends, colleagues, mentors, and yes, girlfriends, who--even if our time together was ultimately short--have been there to serve as fellow sojourners, sharing a portion of life's journey with me.

I'm thankful that during all of 2006 and much of 2007, I had one such fellow sojourner who walked very closely with me; who continually provided me with encouragement, support, and love as I made my way through some very difficult and oft-confusing paths. I'm thankful for the things I learned from her, and that in her I had someone whom I could love, protect, and serve. I'm grateful that we were attracted to the goodness and beauty we found in each other, and were able to inspire more of it in one another.

Even though much of what transpired in our post-relationship phase was quite difficult and painful for me, I'm ultimately grateful that she played a significant role in my life. And that we were able to share a portion of our respective journeys together.

And so, on this day that she becomes a wife, I wish her all the best. I pray for peace, hope, and joy for her and her new husband as they continue to sojourn together, now and for as long as they both shall live.

Congratulations, Julie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you. Thank you so much. This was really beautiful. I hope you know how much it means to me. I'm glad you are writing. You are far too talented not to.