Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Day One: Exhausted.

Yesterday I was absolutely exhausted. Even today, I'm not in tip-top form. I'm sluggish, in need of more sleep.

Physically, it's not the greatest feeling in the world.

But I'm incredibly thankful, as this particular exhaustedness is/was the natural result of a ridiculously busy and enjoyable 24-hour period that started on Sunday at 7:30 am.

It was a day where work and play intertwined. I spent six hours working (SAT tutoring) throughout the day. I was able to go to church, and afterwards, spent time with friends there. It had only been a week since I last saw them, but somehow it seemed like so much longer.

And in the evening, more time spent with friends both old and new. A handful of us (fraternity brothers, all) gathered to celebrate my friend Tony's birthday, and afterward, I met up with some other, recently-made friends, and took them out for their last night in LA before returning to Canada. When it was all said and done, I didn't get back to my apartment until about 7:30 am, Monday morning.

And with the exception of driving from place to place, there wasn't a single break in the action.

What's more, I wasn't feeling so hot on Saturday. I spent all day on my couch back home; sore throat, sniffles, the works. I was sure that the coming cold--one that I've successfully staved off for several weeks now--would knock me out for the remainder of the weekend. The lack of sleep on Saturday night after a long drive back to LA certainly wouldn't help matters. But somehow, somehow, I felt great the entire day Sunday. Still do, in fact (save for the exhaustedness).

Back in college, I was known to say from time to time, "Today could be, quite possibly, the greatest day of my life." And while the expression was generally said with tongue planted firmly in cheek, I would reserve it for days/situations in which I was at least pretty happy.

It's probably no coincidence, then, that I said the line fairly often when I was around good friends.

So while I wouldn't necessarily count Sunday as a banner day in my life, it was the kind of day that, were I back in college, would most certainly have earned a, "Today could be, quite possibly..." designation.

And so today, with the weekend now a thing of the past, the busy week ahead, I am thankful for the exhausted feeling that serves to remind me of the wonderful Sunday I just had.

No comments: