Thursday, February 26, 2009

71. The liturgical calendar.

Up until a few years ago, Ash Wednesday and the start of the Lenten Season wasn't that big of a deal to me.

I think I gave something up for Lent during my senior year of college, but I didn't fully appreciate or understand the significance of Lent until I moved to New York and worked at a church that followed the liturgical calendar. I'm thankful that my church there--and now the one I attend in Hollywood--both follow this traditional church calendar.

Observing the seasons of the faith throughout the year has since proven to be a wonderful element of worship for me.

The receiving of ashes last night--a public affirmation of the Savior's work in my life: past, present, and future.

The fasting from something I rely too heavily upon--a refocusing of my desire and dependence towards the Creator and Giver of all good things.

The meditation, solemnity, and repentance (has any other word made people squirm as much as this? I know I cringe a little to utter it) that mark the next forty days--a period of preparation that ultimately leads way to, and heightens the contrast with, the jubilation and thanksgiving that accompany Easter.

Which is, if you ask me, a pretty good way to approach and anticipate that glorious Resurrection Sunday.

No comments: