Thursday, December 11, 2008

Day Nine: "Let the color streams arrive..."

One of the things I dislike most about Southern California is the lack of four distinct seasons.

I know for some people, nothing could be better than the perpetual sunshine, but I find it terribly distressing. I need some semblance of seasonal change, lest I experience some weird inverse Seasonal Affective Disorder. And no, dear region of mine, a month of kinda-almost-sorta-drizzly weather doesn't quite cut it.

(This might explain why Albert Hammond's "It Never Rains In Southern California" absolutely wrecks me.)

It should come as no surprise, then, that I love it when the leaves actually change colors here! The weather outside may be frightful (and not the "frightful" normally associated with this time of year: it was in the mid- to high-90's last month...I mean, really?), but one look at the bright reds, oranges, and yellows that now envelope our deciduously-lined street is, indeed, delightful.*

Have a gander for yourself:





(I'm no Ansel Adams, it's true. I basically shot these with my iPhone on my daily trip to the neighborhood Starbucks. I think they get the point across, though, right? Now, if Santa were to give me a digital SLR for Christmas...)

The streets in our neighborhood look quite lovely in their autumnal splendor. And I'm grateful that it at least looks like fall. Even if we're just eleven days out from the winter solstice, and I'm walking around in flipflops and a t-shirt.


*Apologies to Irving Berlin for the lame riff on his cherished holiday classic.**

**Yeah, I know Irving Berlin didn't pen "Let it Snow." And I'm too lazy to Wikipedia who did. So there.

No comments: